Defenders of Wildlife
We are seeking an experienced Communications Content Writer to join our Communications Team at Defenders of Wildlife. We are focused on dynamic storytelling to help drive engagement and action across our platforms. Our work deals with exciting national-level conservation issues, including endangered species, biodiversity crises, public lands conservation and climate change among many others.
Our team is creative, ambitious, collaborative, competitive, demanding and fun.To be part of this team, you will integrate closely with day-to-day communications staff and work alongside them and conservation programs teams to write opinion editorials, letters to the editor, blogs and website content as directed. Importantly you will be responsible for editorial content and calendaring of our blog, “Wild Without End,” and ensuring the messaging is strategically aligned with larger MarComm efforts.
The content you create will be engaging, largely error free and demonstrably engaging to external audiences As part of the Communications Department, you will have an important role in conveying the stories we have to tell about wildlife, conservation experts, policies and other pressing environmental issues.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Writing OpEds, LTEs, blogs, web content and other collateral content as directed.
- Editorial content planning, managing timelines, working cross-departmentally on scheduling and promotion.
- Editing writing from across the organization for a variety of audiences and platforms, ensuring a consistent voice, accurate scientific content, and engaging educational content. Also enforcing online writing style guide and Defenders’ branding guidelines.
- Provide assistance on storytelling to staff, guest authors, and stakeholders.
- Develop dynamic presentations as needed
- Manage review and approval of written blog and web content.
- Manage assets associated with content.
- Positing content across platforms.
- Tracking performance of blogs and website pages using google analytics and Medium stats, considering trends, reporting, using analytics to inform content strategy.
- Manage accuracy of current portfolio of web pages, respond to requests for edits and troubleshooting, strategize new content for website, plan layout, execute formatting
- Manage website best practices for other website users.
- Perform all other work-related duties as assigned
- Education: Bachelor’s (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent
- Experience: 4 years of relevant experience. A minimum of 4 years of experience creating content in both traditional and digital environments. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities for All Defendershttps://defenders.org/knowledge-skills-and-abilities
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities For Professional 3
- Ability to accurately maintain electronic and physical records
- Anticipate and meet the needs of internal and/or external stakeholders delivering excellent service
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately and concisely
- Ability to convey effective messages to broad and diverse constituencies
- Ability and willingness to effectively represent Defenders’ interests in external environments
- Ability to exert influence and build consensus with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion
- Strong research and data analysis skills, including ability to gather and synthesize information from multiple sources to produce high quality work products in a consistent, efficient, accurate, and timely manner
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with willingness to experiment and innovate new methods.
- Facilitate and promote the integration of diversity, equity and inclusion strategies into Defenders’ work
- Ability to independently exercise appropriate judgment in response to complex and/or fluid environments
- Strategic thinker with the ability to take high-level strategy and translate into relatable points and action steps.
- Ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines while balancing competing assignments
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to shifting priorities while remaining responsive to urgent requests
- Ability to take ownership of a project or process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues
- Ability to manage deadlines on multiple cross-functional projects in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability in managing competing interests on complex issues
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities For Communications Content Writer
- Experience developing a wide variety of written copy, including blog posts, articles, presentations, website content and more;
- Experience managing website content using content management systems such as Drupal, Magento, etc.;
- A knack for translating complex, dense, or otherwise challenging issues into clear, concise, messages for varied audiences;
- An aptitude for working with a wide variety of staff to help shape and revise communications products as needed;
- The ability to manage competing project deadlines and deliverables on tight timelines;
- A healthy appetite for news and information, especially related to environmental and wildlife trends, issues, politics, and policy;
- The desire to work with a cross-functional, integrated team to deliver excellent products;
- A commitment to uphold and defend the highest levels of ethical conduct;
- Experience in the digital world and affinity to new technologies is a plus;
- Experience with photography or graphic design is a plus;
- A desire to work in a fun, fluid, and fast-paced organization;
- Respect for a culturally-diverse team