The Marketing Copywriter is responsible for researching, writing and editing a variety of written communication and deliverables including—but not limited to—promotional, marketing and website materials, email series, landing pages, ad copy, video scripts, recruitment publications, social media copy and other varied university needs to promote and elevate Belmont University’s brand and aid in meeting project and institutional goals.
As a member of Belmont’s Marketing and Communications team, the Marketing Copywriter ensures all messaging is aligned with the University’s brand and voice. This individual will also be focused on developing accurate, engaging and persuasive content that is appropriate to University goals, selected medium and target audience.
- Writes and edits content across multiple channels, serving as an expert in creating messages that promote Belmont University, its programs, events and initiatives. This includes writing for electronic/digital ads, print ads, website, recruitment materials, brochures, paid social media content and more. Also writes and edits content marketing vehicles such as blog posts, sponsored content and video scripts. Reviews marketing pieces written by other writers or employees and provides clear and constructive feedback. Ensures all content is on-brand, of consistent voice, grammatically correct, connects with the audience and paints Belmont in the best light, every time.
- Supports the execution of marketing campaigns with team members and evaluates the campaigns to improve future efforts. Requires copywriting savvy that can produce snappy headlines, crisp ad copy and compelling email copy and promotional materials to deliver targeted results.
- Develops impactful content with compelling calls-to-action to grow positive awareness and drive web traffic/SEO, engagement, leads and conversations. Uses Google Analytics, SEO tools and other platforms to measure content performance against goals and benchmarks. Collaborates with marketing colleagues to test and uncover best practices for performance.
- Collaborates with multiple campus partners and cultivates strong relationships across campus to gather facts, data, stories, accomplishments, rankings and identify potential stories that can be used in the creation of diverse and comprehensive content that serves the University’s recruitment, retention, brand-building and development goals. Partners with colleagues to develop strategic, distinctive and intentional messaging to achieve high-quality deliverables. Works with colleges/departments and Strategy Team to give voice to each units unique selling points.
- Proactively seeks to communicate Belmont’s mission, vision and culture to diverse audiences with the highest quality and effectiveness to demonstrate the University’s transformative impact on student lives. Work within the Marketing & Communications team (web, social, creative, strategy, PR, media relations) to ensure that content is shared and repackaged for different media and across multiple storytelling channels. Recommends photography and videography to enhance content.
- Keeps current with best practices in marketing communications, including but not limited to search engine optimization, email marketing, content management, influencer marketing, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Belmont University seeks to attract and retain highly qualified faculty and staff who will support our mission and vision. As a Christ-centered and student-focused community, we aim to:
- Form diverse leaders of character;
- Equip people to solve the world’s complex problems through teaching, research and service;
- And be radical champions for helping people and communities flourish.
- Solid understanding of written English and grammar as well as command of AP Style.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, attention to details, professional demeanor, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to write on deadline in a fast-paced, high-volume environment with concurrent assignments.
- Ability to excel independently and in a team environment.
- Familiarity with MS Office, social media and email marketing platforms, and blog and web content management systems; SEO best practices and techniques; email campaign platforms; project management software; and Web site content management system
- Possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
- Ability to thrive in an environment of hard work.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Familiarity with issues in higher education is a plus.
Required Education: A Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, communications or other relevant field.
Required Experience: At least three (3) years of relevant professional experience. Portfolio of copywriting samples required with application.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check satisfactory to the University.